Saturday, January 1, 2011

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN 2011 MARTIAL ARTS MEDIA

There's quite a bit to look forward to in terms of martial arts media in 2011, and here's a quick look at what the year has in store:

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS

The UFC's bigger than ever now, what with it absorbing the lighter weight classes of the WEC and expanding to all corners of the globe. Since there's a lot more talent now in the organization, fighters have to fight to the best in their ability now and show that they do indeed deserve a spot in the greatest MMA organization on the planet. This is especially true of the Lightweight warriors who need to make sure that their spots don't get usurped by those from the WEC. If you're not exciting in the UFC in 2011, then you're out. And fans all over the world rejoiced.


Preview of the latest poster for Marvel vs. Capcom 3
VIDEO GAMES

The era of Super Street Fighter IV is quickly coming to a close as a new fighting game champion arises to take its place. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 promises to be the greatest crossover video gaming history has ever seen, and from what I've seen, I believe it. Aside from that, there's also other great fighting games coming out this year, including Mortal Kombat, and Tekken tag Tournament 2.

HOLLYWOOD

The only Hollywood movie I'm aware of that directly has anything to do with the martial arts is the upcoming Green Hornet film, which I will eagerly behold in Imax 3D on opening day, January 14. Not really a martial arts film, it's more of an action-comedy of sorts, but it does feature the character known as Kato, who was popularized by the immortal Bruce Lee in the 1960's. Jay Chou, who plays the new Kato, looks decent in the trailers so far, and I'm excited to see to do the founder of Jeet Kune Do justice. Check out the trailer below:



There's also this fairly unique boxing movie starring Hugh Jackman showing later in the year, on October 7, called Real Steel. Jackman plays retired boxer Charlie Kenton who makes a living by cornering robot boxers. Very interesting if you ask me! Check out the trailer below:



Aside from those, there are other great action movies that will be released, such as Thor, The First Avenger: Captain America, and Sucker Punch, but nothing directly martial arts-related as far as I'm aware. If you know any, help me out and leave a comment below!

ANIME

This area's where I'm the most clueless, unfortunately. Again, if you could point out some great martial arts anime to me in the comments, I'd be very grateful. I'll edit in your contribution and give you credit!

Anyway, what I am aware of is the anime version of the popular superhero Wolverine, which is the next in line in Marvel's anime series, after Iron Man. I point this out because the plot supposedly deals with Wolverine living in Japan for one reason or another and fighting ninja and samurai. Or something to that extent. I'm of the habit of keeping out of any possible spoilers because I like to keep as fresh as possible when I'm a watching a new movie or TV show. Anyway, in that sense, it has a lot to do with the martial arts, so I'm going to keep a close eye on it. Here's a quick preview:



The Iron man anime actually started out very mediocre, and was greeted with an outrageous amount of fan negativity. It got much better as the series went on, though, and I absolutely loved the climactic last three episodes. Generally knowing what the Madhouse anime studio has in store for these Marvel anime series, I'm going into Wolverine with properly tweaked expectations.

After Wolverine comes two more Marvel anime adaptations, specifically X-Men, then Blade. Not really martial arts anime, but notable nonetheless for the large amount of action they'll undoubtedly show off. Again, if you know of other great martial arts anime titles coming in 2011, let me know and I'll give you credit!

FINAL THOUGHTS

Quite a bit, if you ask me, though the Mixed Martial Arts and Video Game categories have way more to offer than the other two. I'm sure I missed a few titles in some of the categories, though, which will only add to what I think will be a exciting year for martial arts media!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...